Table Talk News

Preparing The Garden


This is my view out my kitchen window.....I do love the smell of freshly plowed dirt. Yesterday FIL plowed it for the second time getting it ready for planting. They tell me that at the end of the month I can plant some things...I can't wait!!!
In the meantime I had to transplant some of my starts that I started in peat pots. These are mostly squash(variety) and melons(variety) and they are doing well so far. They are a little slow in growing but I think that has to do with warmth. I put the peat pots in a tray(aluminum tray for large meals) and I think it is a little cold but they are growing despite my inadequate tray. Gotta do what I gotta do! :)



Yes that is an ol laundry basket...came in handy!

Next, transplanting the tomatoes into peat pots.....I hope I am successful! xxx my fingers!



Something I learned the other day thanks to my FIL, if you go by your local County Extension Office they will provide you with all kinds of information on your growing season down to even what grows best in your area. I have a soil(dirt) samples to take down to them tomorrow so I can find out what my ground is lacking I do hope it isn't a whole lot. This ground has been empty for a very long time.........the dirt looks wonderful unlike the other ground around us which is a red clay mix. So one wonders how much mulch they brought in to create this garden space? We were told that some folks back in the late 50's early 60's had this space for a garden and it shows even now. Can you tell I am excited? I love growing our own food and be able to feed others too!

Copyright © 2014 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2014 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. That looks like a lovely garden spots. Sunny for the plants & shade for the people!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts