Table Talk News

UPDATED @ 7:20 pm Emergency Vet Trip


Peanut ended up in Emergency Hospital this morning. She got bit by a young Copperhead snake


I will start at the beginning. Mtn Man was out front this morning enjoying his coffee while scoping out the land from the front porch at his forward command center. Peanut joined him outside. She commenced to exploring which started right under the front porch. She started barking "raising cane" at something under the porch. Mtn Man got up to access the situation but could not see what she was barking at. Peanut was trying to show him where the critter was but it was hidden behind some old concrete and leaves. I stepped outside to see what all the commotion was about and I was told that she had something under the front porch. So I encouraged her to show me where it was.... this is where the proverbial crap hit the sky! She came out of there shaking her head like crazy. Dangit!! She got bit by something......
Mtn Man continued to find the little sucker with all hopes that it was a black snake.  And then Peanut wasn't acting right..... shoot it was a venomous snake probably a Copperhead. Called the vet and they suggested I try a benedryl and a pain pill. I could see her tongue was swelling and now she was crying in pain. I crushed the pills up, mixed them with some yogurt and sucked it up into a small syringe to try to get it down her throat. Now she was screaming in pain if I tried to touch her mouth at all. So off we go loaded up in the car. By this time I have to carry her because she can't walk herself. she is bleeding out the mouth pretty good. 
We get to the vet who has been filled in with all the info long before we arrived. They treat her with antibiotics, prednisone(sp?) and antihistamine. Just a few minutes later she is able to breathe out her mouth. whew! They sent us home with some meds for the next 14 days. Peanut will probably lose some if not all of her tongue!! This was devastating news to me! My poor baby! Tongues in dogs is something that cannot be lost. Don't get me wrong there are dogs who live without them but they cannot get heated up (no running and playing rough), they can't lick their owners(which Peanut lives for) and can't lap up water (have to feed her water with a syringe even now). DEVASTATED!!! My poor girl is gonna be hating it if she loses her tongue!!
That is if she makes it through the next 24 hrs!!
Mtn Man did kill the Copperhead and it was a young one (still had a little color on the end of its tail).
Needless to say, here at the farm we are quite and non functioning! This shut us down today and for some time. Mtn Man and I are at a lose today! I keep going in and out of crying and he is trying to do stuff but is just as worried as me. 
Please pray for our little family! 
Thanks everybody.....  
*********************************************
Peanut is doing a ton better this evening! She ate her supper!! Took her pills with hot dogs and went for her regular run around the chicken pen while I gathered eggs!
Here are some pics from this evening!

I believe my Peanut the Nut will be alright!
 Will keep ya updated on the tongue deal........

Love hearing from ya!!!! FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO! https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofmylife Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. Oh No! I am so very sorry. I know how we are about our animals. Just can't stand to see them suffer. Prayers for you and Mtn. Man, that you will have the strength to deal with whatever comes. And prayers mostly for little Peanut, that she will have the best possible outcome from this. And a hug to you....just because.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. My cat was bitten by a rattle snake years ago. Rushed her to the vet who had anti venom there. Also had a horse get bitten on the nose. All were OK afterwards. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really hard when your dog is hurt. We have lots of critters, but none of them hold the place in your heart that your dog does. Blessings to you all.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  4. M.E.,

    OMG....No, sending prayers for Peanut and you both.
    You need to stay positive for Peanut. Being positive will help
    Peanut get through this.

    Sending hugs, love, and prayers.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary. I hope she pulls thru ok. I'll keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying!!! Mary...we have nothing in common. LOL!! But we have JESUS CHRIST AS SAVIOR AND LORD!!!! I am a city gal, apartment-living...I just have been reading your for a long time! I can't even remember how I found you!! Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. M.E.,

    I'm so happy to hear Peanut is doing better.
    Eating and running is a real good sign.
    Thank God!!!!

    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been reading your blog for a while,but never commented. Just want you to know that I am praying for total healing for Peanut. I have three large dogs and we kill about 4 copperheads a year on our property. I just hate snakes and worry that my dogs will get bit. Peanut looks like such a wonderful, happy dog. Jana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everybody! She is recovering well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts