Table Talk News

Sauerkraut Pie

This recipe has been in my family as far back as I can remember. If I was told right my dad's brother Jerry came up with this recipe. I found it in my moms old recipe book from the 70's when the community radio station made up a book for the ladies. They would send in their recipes by a certain deadline and they were published in this book.
Anyhoo, Sauerkraut Pie is one of the easiest casseroles in the world! To start cook up a 1 lb of ground sausage (More if you have a bigger family or big eaters-I used 2 lbs tonite) then add two 8 oz cans of sauerkraut spread out on top of meat (Note make sure you have this casserole in an oven ready dish) then either use ready to make potatoes or peel/cut/boil potatoes for mashed. Make about enough for 4 servings  then spread on top of the sauerkraut. Bake in Oven at 350* for 30 mins or until heated thru.
Now let me tell you a secret, I cheat a lot on cooking, such as this evening I had 4 small potatoes(I baked in Micro for 5 mins) which I knew would not be enough so I added a sweet potato from last nights leftovers and a can of summer squash I canned this last year. Mashed the hot mixture(microwaved them all) then added butter to them...spread them on top. My oven needs cleaning yet from the other night cooking ribs, so I went to the outdoor grill and baked for 30 mins or so. Cooked all the above in one cast iron skillet from start to finish! Enjoy!!!



Comments

Popular Posts