Table Talk News

Love Is a Choice

Yesterday, I read a blog post by Rory Feek-I choose love.
In his post he is speaking of his struggle with his daughter coming out as a lesbian. It has caused him to re examine his faith in God and his love for his daughter. What stirred me in his conversation was this statement
"Hopie has made me rethink everything I’ve ever thought when it comes to some things. And in other ways I’m still right where I always was. First off, I’m not the judge. That is not my job. I’m Hopie’s father. My job is to love her. She gets to make her decisions in life. All of them. I can approve or disapprove, but it’s her life, and she has a right to live it as she chooses. 
And as far as the church goes, I am not the judge there either. My faith says that it’s wrong. That it’s wrong for me. And so I will live my life trying to live what I believe. But Hopie’s faith is her faith. It is between her and God and no one else. You and I can try to judge her and condemn her or anyone else, but, honestly, we don’t have any right to cast the first stone. At least, I don’t. Not with all the stones I’ve thrown in my life. "
 Rory is correct in saying that he is not her judge and jury. Only God can do that! We are not her judge and jury. "Hate the sin, not the sinner." We are taught to love one another but sometimes it is hard to separate the sin and sinner from a situation like this. I struggle with this myself! God condemns me on it, constantly!
This also brings me back to my own past and future with my earthly father. He loved on conditions! When I was shunned from my church family because of my sin (adultery), he fully enveloped the idea. He disowned me verbally and physically! And still has not come out of that because of his belief. I felt abandoned once again. I was even told that God would abandon me. I was thrown to wolves to be devoured like yesterdays leftovers.
But I came to realize after years & years of struggle, that God never abandons us! Even when we do Him! He knows our hearts and our minds! He knows what we are going to do even before we do. He picked me up piece by piece and mended me! Showed me that a loving father does not abandon his children, ever. Not even when they are straying away from his face!
Kelly Clarkson tells it best!

He loves me unconditionally because He chooses too!

Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. Unfortunately most humans love conditionally. I don't think they understand any other kind, :( . This post and your previous one have the same theme, and I think the key is what you wrote in that one, that love must have respect for others. That includes respecting their opinions and decisions, even when we disagree. That's the kind of love that can change the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts