Table Talk News

Protecting Our Homestead

We have been here, four years. In all of those years, we haven't had hardly any trouble whatsoever. Well, those times are over!
 This last week, a coyote showed up on our farm in the evening hours. I was coming out of the hot tub in my birthday suit and heard my chickens screaming for help. I looked up to find them scattering and could not believe my eyes! A coyote was chasing them out of the wood line. Holy Cats! I turned around and headed for the door where Mountain Man was coming out of. He asked what was wrong? I replied I need a gun. He said I heard you screaming (I don't remember that, but I will take his word for it) so I was coming out to check on ya. I grunted and grabbed the gun. Well, P-Nut caused a little mess by trying to go out the door to protect her momma, so I grabbed her. Mountain Man took the gun away from me and fired off a round. With all the commotion, the coyote ran off. The bullet found the piece of 2x6 laying across the old well! Yep, sunk that sucker deep in the wood! 


The chickens? They went into hiding for the rest of the day!
Fast forward to last night about 9:30 pm. We are settling into our beds just turned the light out. We both heard a sound that was really close.....sounded like a bunch of puppies crying. I said what the heck was that? Mountain Man jumped out of bed, dressed, grabbed his gun and headed for the outdoors...barefoot!!
I stayed in bed like he suggested, turned out the light and waited with a quivering P-Nut. She so wanted to go help Papa get those intruders! A few minutes go by, and pop, pop, pop goes the gun. Then I hear my name being called. Get the flashlight and your camera. You are definitely going to want to see this! *******Warning, dead critters and blood about to be shown********
Wild dogs and coyotes alike (5-6) were chasing this wild pig down our new road (for another post tomorrow). They almost had her down, and Mountain Man got his shots off. One wild dog(pitbull) down and one sow down. Close to the chicken pen and right next to the pasture pen.
Pit Bull....been running awhile...skinny skinny and been in many fights


Would like to mention....they did not get into the pasture pen whatsoever! YAY Go US!! We know how to build a fence!!
We went out to the pastures to check on everybody. They were scared, but all accounted for! Unharmed!







Life on the homestead can be gruesome sometimes, but you take the bad with the good. You keep on a going!

 https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance-problem-species/invasive-species/feral-hogs-missouri






Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. So many seem to think that homesteading is all about cute baby chicks or looking good wearing gardening gloves and straw sun hat. I think the realities of dispatching predators or mucking out chicken coops might dissuade some from doing the actual work involved. Glad you were able to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M.E.,
    I'm happy to hear your animals are okay! Feral dog,coyotes, and wild bigs are major problems for farmers, ranchers, and homesteaders. We carry a gun with us at all times on the property. Thank God P-Nut was in the house with you that night!
    Be safe! Sending hugs to both of you.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You see and "do" a lot of different things on a farm, and it's not always pretty. I'm glad to know at least one wild dog and pig are gone! We have problems with coyotes and wild hogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts