Table Talk News

Frozen Water

A  gal by the name of Julia Jesu put this Barn Hack out there for others to try:

Barn hack: for those of you without electricity at your troughs this does work, I've been doing it for years! Even did a little experiment today. I left 2 troughs without jugs, and put jugs in 3 troughs. Those with jugs were still completely unfrozen tonight. Those without had a solid layer I had to break up. It's easy! Just take old milk jugs (or water gallon jugs or restaurant frier oil jugs) and put some salt in them- I did 5 tablespoons of kosher salt in each- and a small amount of water, then stick them in the trough! I use 2 per as it keeps them moving more and creates less of a surface for ice to form.🙌🏼
PSA: what I've found is that during the day in full sunshine this keeps your troughs frost free down to 25 degrees F, and probably about 30 degrees F at night. Over night temps last night were 9 degrees F and I did have a thin layer of ice but it was VERY thin, less than 1/2 an inch. I am in Maryland and am definitely NOT guaranteeing this for everyone, it has just worked for me over the past couple years in our range of temps! Cheers!

Well our troughs are definitely not electric accessible so I thought why not!
I say that temps that are lower than the ones she described does not help whatsoever!
But it was fun!!


Will see how it goes when the temps warm up......keep ya updated on that front!



Copyright © 2017 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2017 M.E. Masterson

Comments

Popular Posts