Table Talk News

Special Sunday Passage

 As some of you know, I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, which I am no longer at least for 21 yrs now. I was not raised to observe traditional holidays this one included. 

Jehovah's Witnesses observe a yearly commemorative service of the Last Supper and subsequent execution of Christ on the evening of Nisan 14 (as they calculate the dates derived from the lunar Hebrew Calendar). It is commonly referred to by many Witnesses as simply "The  Memorial". Jehovah's Witnesses believe that such verses as Luke 22:19–20 and Cor| 11:26 constitute a commandment to remember the death of Christ though not the resurrection, and they do so on a yearly basis just as Passover is celebrated annually by the Jews.-Wikipedia

I think it was 1996, I was 26 yrs old, when I celebrated my first Easter a couple years after being excommunicated from the church. I celebrated with my children which was their first year. My memories are full of laughter and celebration. I once had lovely wall hangings of them and their easter baskets but they were washed away in a flood in 2008. I still have them in my memories. 

Back to the holiday itself. I have celebrated with different ones off and on in the years since then. Very casually most times not taking in the full Christian view of the meaning of this holiday. Plus for years it was a difficult task to share with others children this fun and exciting time as mine were on the other side not here to share it with me. I decided to read what this holiday really means and why were the eggs brought into this holiday. Easter bunny and eggs made no sense to me for this holiday.

The Easter holiday is a representative of the Resurrection Of Christ three days after his Crucifixion. 

   "And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre? And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great. And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you. And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid." -Mark 16: 1-8

 Christians who take this seriously do so by observing starting with Lent
 which lasts for 40 days. During this period is a time for fasting, prayer and penance. Around these parts they take this a little more serious in observing than out West where I grew up. They start by celebrating Fat Tuesday (Mardi-Gras, this year Feb 17) from there every Friday is Fish Fry (Eat Fish on this day). Most anywhere you can get fish (catfish mostly) on this day! This goes on until the Friday before Easter which is Good Friday. But before I get ahead of myself let me back up a bit.
The week before Easter is Holy Week starting with Palm Sunday followed by Holy Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. This week around these parts is observed by Christians plus businesses and schools were closed in observance of this holiday. Which for me was very different!
In the Eastern World it is observed and celebrated with vigor. Having full ceremonies depicting Jesus trials, death, burial and resurrection. It is a time of acknowledgement that Jesus came here to save God's people from their sins. A sacrifice like no other! 
The eggs were possibly started by the Early Christians of Mesopotamia. They stained eggs red in memory of the blood of Christ, shed at his crucifixion. In more modern times the eggs have been symbolized for the empty tomb from which Christ rose from.
The bunny, well, from what I can see was made up like Santa Claus for Christmas!

Another little tidbit is there are 14 U.S. States and Territories that observe this 40 day celebration. 

  • Mardi Gras, Mardi Gras Day: Ala. (in Baldwin and Mobile Counties), La.
  • Holy Thursday, Holy Thursday: V.I.
  • Good Friday, Good Friday: Conn., Del., Guam, Hawaii, Ind., Ky. (half day), La., N.J., N.C., N.D., P.R., Tenn.
  • Day after Easter, Easter Monday: V.I.
Easter has become for me a holiday that everyone should take seriously. Jesus loved us as a people so much that He gave His LIFE so that we, you and me, could be forgiven as imperfect beings to inherit a spot next to His Father in heaven. What human do you know would ever do that for you??

With Tons Of Love In My Heart And Gratefulness, Have A Blessed Easter Sunday!
Be Sure To Give Thanks Where Thanks Is Due!
 
Love hearing from ya!!!! 
 FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO! https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofmylife 
 Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson

Comments

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts