Table Talk News

Crop Storage

I wanted to give ya an update on my crop storage. 

#1 The carrots that I stuck in 5 gal buckets with their own dirt are coming to their end. I have used almost the whole lot! I have been keeping a layer on top of the good ones which seems to work. The top get a bit dried out while the ones underneath stay crisp. Although we are getting towards the bottom of the last bucket and they are hit and miss on the good ones. I am really happy with our results but would be much happier if I could have saved them all. So next year I am going to try the sand method. Sand, Carrots, Sand and so on. will use sand out of our creek that has washed up in the front yard so to speak. Will rinse it this spring to make it clean dry it.....then use it in the fall to store the carrots...very exciting prospects!

#2 The sweet potatoes stored nicely! I used a wax box to store them in and they remain the same as when I put them in there. Crispy!

#3 We have decided that Contender beans are the "bomb"! We will plant some for immediate consumption spring/summer than in the fall for canning! They did the best in the fall! So will expect to plant lots of rows of beans!!


#4 Our squash, well, I probably won't store this again. It seems to me that we eat frozen better than the fresh. We have not eaten it as much as I thought we would. Pumpkins are still really good as we stored them in a cool area in the pantry.

#5 Need to can more potatoes this next year. We have ate the heck out of them!! LOL!

That should do it! 
Have a great week everybody!
Ps. be sure to take a look at my recipe site..been adding new! 

Welcome Pratt Cave!! 

If you want to leave a COMMENT please EMAIL me (MARYE.MASTERSON@GMAIL.COM) Love hearing from ya! FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO! https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofmylife Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson

Popular Posts