Table Talk News

Short Timer?

I have some news that has made me stop in my tracks a bit!

Our little dog Shorty who I have had for almost 11 yrs now is what this is about. Let me start at the beginning......
The first part of February I took him to have his teeth looked at because he was having trouble eating. He had couple in there that fell out in the docs hands and a few that needed cleaned. They gave us some antibiotics(for infection setting in) and pain pills to make him comfortable. That spot was really tender!
Ok, so the next week, I take him in for a check up to find out that the infection was not giving up...so two more weeks of antibiotics and more pain meds. I would watch him and it seemed to me that he was not getting better. Now his tongue hangs out the side most of the time and he keeps that spot moist but always acts like it hurts when he slides that tongue across that spot.
So now, we are into the third week in March and back to the vet we go because Shorty is not eating or drinking. Crap!
She looks him over...informs me that he has lost a pound which for a little dog (under 10 lbs) that is not good! She decides that we need to sedate him a bit to look at that spot a bit better. She also wants to get another tooth out of there that has rotted since the last time we were in there!
We talked about the possibilities of what could be going on but really won't know anything really until she has a look! I signed my permission slip...yes we had a little chuckle about that!
Once he was sedated, they brought me back to have a look. That spot is very inflamed and irritated! He now has three holes in a line. The area is much broader than the rest of his jawline which brought to mind that he very well may have a tumor forming in there! Stop hold the phone....a TUMOR! Not good! Most likely the infection has gone into his jaw otherwise known as bone! Dangit! And on top of all of this it feels like he has a fractured jaw on top of all this! Crap Crap Crap!!!
I started crying!!
Options:
#1-Take him to have proper x-rays(2 hrs away) to see whether is was a tumor or not. Refer to an oncologist. If it is, they would cut that part of his jaw out, chemo and treatment with no guarantees that it will work like most cancers.
#2-Put him on another round of antibiotics and more pain meds just a bit stronger. Check back in a week to see where we are...
After I calmed down a bit...I voted for #2! My little furboy does not need to be tortured with surgeries and chemo at 11 yrs old(77 yrs old in ppl years). I am all about quality of life with my critters and my family for that matter. I think it should be legal to opt out of life if you are going to die in a miserable, painful method anyhow! How Awful! I believe God understands that! or I like to think so.
Anyhow, back to my boy!
So we came home yesterday with another round of antibiotics and stronger pain meds....couple cans of really soft soft food (he did eat 1 can last night eventually). I have been praying my heart out for healing for my little guy.
This is piss poor timing really...considering my kids 19 yr anniversary is next week(25th)!
I talked it over with hubby and we have decided to give it until the 1st of April(I know bad timing again on my part-April Fool's Day and the day I buried my kids-Damn!) to make any decisions concerning Shorty!
I am heart broke! I knew his "time" was coming but I didn't think it was soon...I was thinking we had more years to go!
I am still praying that by some miracle we are wrong and he heals!!!



Love hearing from ya!!!! FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO! https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofmylife Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. My Sweet Mary,

    My heart is breaking for you. I hope the meds work and you have a few more years with your furboy!!

    Love you with all my heart!

    Gretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, consider yourself hugged. And a belly rub and a scritch behind the ears for Shorty. Adding my prayers to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for you, shorty and the family.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart !!
    I understand your feelings completely as I am going through a similar thing with my 4-legged kid as he is in congestive heart failure and is on high powered meds to keep him comfortable.
    Praying for a good outcome at the next vet visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Sweet Friend,

    I'm so sorry to hear Shorty is having issues with his teeth and mouth. Are the new meds and pain pills helping? Sending you and Shorty prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts