Table Talk News

Preparing The Potatoes

 I am settling into the new schedule and so is everybody else.
Today I want to talk about pre planting. I have come to realize that there are those who have no idea that you can or should do certain things with certain items before planting.
For instance, when planting potatoes you really should prep your seed potatoes before planting.
What I mean is this...Seed potatoes have eyes on them and most times they are already putting on sprouts from those eyes. Take a knife and cut the potatoes in to pieces leaving at least one eye in that piece. Doesn't matter the shape or the size really. I prefer leaving some meat on with the eye so that my potatoes have a little something to get them started. Like this....

Place them on newspaper or in my case paper plates and in a warm spot not necessarily a sunny spot just warm(60*). After a couple of days I will turn them up so the meat can harden off (they may turn a dark gray and they look like a bad scab on them-DO NOT CUT THIS OFF!!). You want them to harden off before planting in the ground so the bugs don't eat them up. They tend to shrivel up a little too this is ok. This process takes about 3-4 days. Now they are ready to plant!

******************************************************************************

The other one I prepare is my sweet potatoes for "slips". I had some from last year still in the box. I found some that felt firm not mushy or shriveled. I washed them off. Found my jelly jars because my SP are small added water and placed them in the jars. The ones that were to small I used toothpicks to hold them up out of the water like you would do to an avocado seed. 

When the green grows to about 3-4 inches you pull them off and put them in a bit of water to grow their roots. Then they are ready for planting! Will keep ya updated on the progress!

Have a great day!

Ps. Can you believe it 500 posts? Boggles my mind that I have had that much to say! LOL!

Love hearing from ya!!!! 
 FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO! https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofmylife 
Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson

Comments

Popular Posts