Table Talk News

Saying Goodbye


Here on the farm there are those times that I abhor!! Today is one of those times.
My mare, Lyfa went to the other side today. Breaking my heart to write this post, even so, you can imagine what a mess I was out in the field saying my goodbyes to her.


I think she knows her last day is here. That is why I came back to the house while he digs a hole for her. Gosh it is sooooo hard to say goodbye to my friend. She has been there for me through a lot of crud in my life.
I was given her, back in 2000 after training with her for about a year. She was green broke when they bought her and asked me to train her. She and I bonded from the get-go! She learned to trust me and would do anything for me. When I was having a bad day she would lay her head on my shoulder while I cried....She was an awesome companion for a lot of years! She traveled with me everywhere! I loaded her up in the trailer and away we went to wherever the wind would blow us!
She was born 5/6/1992. She lived with her grandma, dad, mom and aunt up until I moved her off the property in 2000 after she was given to me, papers and all.
26 yrs old she is now....and she is feeling the age. She has pretty much slowed way down on her eating/drinking. Just enough to keep herself sustained. I know she is in pain from her injuries in her past. Her knee has built up calcium deposit and it makes for difficulty trying to get down or up. Not sure she is doing that at all which means no real rest off her hooves. Mountain Man cannot keep her hooves trimmed up because she cannot stand long enough to get them trimmed. Folks she is old! Arthur has caught up with her and she is in pain a lot!


In 2008, she was attacked by what we figured was mountain lions, momma and her cubs. I think she was protecting another pasture buddy who could not defend himself. Long story short, she went through 5-6 mos of suffering and 5 vets to get her stable enough to live out the last 10 yrs. I almost lost her then! She pleaded with me to save her and so I did!
The two of us have been through a lot together like I said! She came to me at a time that I needed to focus on something else besides my miserable self at the time. I missed my kids terribly at that time and she helped me to focus on living not dying to put it plainly!
I will miss the ol' gal deeply and I wish her well.....lots of tears being shed on her behalf.....


Royal Charmalyfa Aug 16 2018
RIP...my dear ol' Lyfa girl!
5/6/1992-8/16/2018



Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. I am sorry. There are no other words except in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful friend and companion.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry, Mary! I know what a bond a horse like this has with it's human soulmate. Horses like this don't come along often, so we tend to hold tight to them! She is looking down from those greener pastures and saying "thank you and will see you again one day - happy trails"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Mary. I pray you are comforted knowing that you gave her a good life, companionship and unconditional love! Like she gave you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts