Table Talk News

Green Bean Canning-Tutorial


We picked green beans out of a friends garden the other night. Wahoo! Never turn down free goods. Said we could have em if we want to pick em! Heck ya!!
A heaping 4.5 gallon bucket full we picked....more coming next week!

Tutorial:
First you want to "tail" and "snap" your green beans. These were pole beans so they had "strings" on them too. In the bean world that is the little extra greenery that goes down the dividing line of the green bean. It is a little tough when canned so I take them off. I cut off any bad spots as well.











After I get the whole mess done (thanks to Mountain Man, this did not take long), I give them a good rinsing in the bowl....or bucket if appropriate until all comes out clean. I swoosh or swirl them around with my hands in the water to give them a chance to rinse off.


When I pour off the water I use a colander underneath while I am holding back the "dam" to catch any strays that fall through. Try to be as clean as you can be with your process!



Now I get my jars ready.....I use already cleaned jars that I have run through dishwasher then stored....I rinse them in hot hot water....I get my lids in the pot of water (cover the lids with water) rings too.....do not boil just bring to boiling point on stove.
It is important to note that you need to sort through your screw tops to make sure they are not mis-shapen or full of rust. It does affect your sealing process!!
I fill my jars up with green beans to about 1" from the top. I carefully "tap" the jar from the bottom to get the beans to settle so as to get as many in it as possible.
I added about tsp. of canning salt (can use any salt without iodine) to each quart. then filled them up with hot hot water.

Wiped the top, and i slide my wet finger over the top to make sure there is no chips or gook on the top. Apply the hot lid and ring and then put in my canner.
This step I turn my burner on.....get that water boiling in my canner with the jars in there. Once it is boiling I set my lid on kind of cockeyed(not sealed) so as to get my gasket on lid warmed up and the jars hot,etc.  I do this for about 5 mins.


I then seal down my lid.....most canners are twisted on at this point. Make sure they get sealed up. Do not panic if you see steam escaping or water dripping once the boil gets going(I mean, with the steam sealed)(got a little ahead of myself with this comment)....the first round may do that.....if you have this continue for a few cannings like consecutive canning sessions....probably should look into a new gasket. On to the next step.......
Ok.....when the steam comes out the steam port that is a good thing......watch for the steam stem to pop up

now you got the "blow" going....set your timer for 10 mins.
When the timer quits....seal down your steam ports....some you will twist the port and others you will add the weighted port.
You should see your needle move on your gauge. Watch for it to hit the desired poundage your area requires. (Go to your book for this or get the info from your extension office). Depends on the vegies or meat you are canning as well as elevation you live at.
Once you hit that desired poundage, and it holds there...might have to adjust the temp a bit...constantly watch this......then set your timer for the desired times the book calls for.
Mine calls for 25 mins for quart beans.
After the timer quits shut off your heat. Let them cool down naturally. Which means DO NOT TRY TO OPEN OR YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF!!
Let that gauge go to ZERO....Wait until your steam stem falls down then your can open your lid, CAREFULLY. Steam is still in your pot...water will be dripping from your lid...HOT HOT WATER! You will only drip water on yourself one time before you learn to carefully remove lid at an angle!
Then take your handy dandy jar lifter to your canner and get your jars out!
Depending on how well you managed your pressure in your pot is how much water will stay in your jars. It is still alright!!
Make sure you wait for the ping and your jars are completely cooled before you wipe and put away. sometimes it takes them until the next day to seal!
Happy Canning!

Any questions please do not hesitate to holler at me!!










Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2018 M.E. Masterson

Comments

Popular Posts