Table Talk News

Garden Goodies & Canning-Updated

I finally was able to get out in the garden yesterday.
Oh my goodness! I came out with a lot more than I thought was in there!
Look for yourself
I went to baggin up the jalapenos, okra and the green beans while I ate my only lemon cuke. So good! I put the squash in my bucket for eatin on later. I then sliced into the Sugar Baby watermelon! Oh it is sweet!! 
Talkin about watermelon I had to go and look up when to pick them. I found this great video on Sugar Baby's. The tendril that is above the stem on the watermelon should be brown before picking the melon. It works!

The roma tomatoes that filled my big bowl I had to do something with. I remembered seeing a post over at 5 acres and a dream on canning pizza sauce. I am on day one..started last night. Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have the sauce in jars! Yeah!
This morning I woke to sauce that was done....I turned it off and took the crock out of the cooler so it could cool! This cooked down to about a serving for two people.
So I started with about 5-6# of tomatoes, cooked them down for day and half approx on high in the crockpot for a serving for two! Not bad really!
 



Last but not least I pulled out all the venison from our freezer to can in jars. I have been putting it off because of the process I thought it would take to do that. Much to my happy self I found an easier and safe way to can my meat, raw packed. So happy! They are in the canner as I type this...will finish the rest of it tomorrow night. The days are way to hot to can...temps in the upper 90's with humidity at 80% and heat index 105*. Not canning weather!


This morning(Wed 29th) I went out to my canner that I left out to cool and opened the lid and Viola'!

7 Jars of finished canned cubed meat!  This will come in handy this winter for stews etc. And my freezer is ready for more fresh meats and things.
 
The evenings are cool enough after the sun goes down.

Hope everybody is having a good week thus far.
Talk to ya later! 

Love hearing from ya!!!! FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO! https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofmylife Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson All Photographs Copyright © 2015 M.E. Masterson

Comments

  1. Love all your garden stuff, but it is the venison that makes me drool. I used to can venison every fall. My family loved it. Hope one of my boys will hunt this year so I can have a few jars of it. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like food on the shelf, ready to eat, M.E. Did you add water to your cubed meat?

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicki! I hope he gets one this year too!
    Thanks Fern! No I didn't use any liquid at all! It makes it's own juice through the cooking process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. M.E.,

    Looking good girl. I had no idea you could back venison raw and process it without liquid.
    Interesting, I have all kinds of venison in the freezer I'm going to have to give this a shot. I also need to get moving and make some venison jerky.

    Hugs to you both,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Sugar Babies...it's been years. My father once grew acres of 'Rattlers, and Cannonballs. A full pantry is worth more than gold in the pocket.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry to limit comments to google users only. Thank you for stopping by! Come back again ya hear!

Popular Posts